Monday, November 08, 2010

Tom Wolfe? I was thinking Charles Dickens.

Because Jeffrey, if America's new aristos can even fuck over physicians with the connivance of state authorities, it's much more reminiscent of the Marquis St. Evrémonde and what happened to Alexandre Manette than of Sherman McCoy. I know, that's a little pretentious, and we're not supposed to get mad at rich people, but look at the D.A.'s reason for declining to prosecute:
"Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession," according to District Attorney Mark Hurlbert.

Yeah, right.

BTW, when I did a Google search to make sure that I remembered Sherman McCoy's name correctly, I came across a quaint little piece about Wall Street by Michael Lewis, of all people.

Also, the driver's attorneys claim the he may have sleep apnea, but I'd be willing to bet that he was calling or texting somebody when he swerved and hit the cyclist. At any rate, we could debate just how dangerous using a cell phone while driving really is for months without getting anywhere, but I don't know how anybody could object to examining cell phone records to help assess liability in the case of serious accidents. Not that it would necessarily prove anything in the Vail incident, but if I were the victim of what somebody claimed was his newly discovered sleep apnea, I'd certainly demand that he rule out every other possibility before I accepted him at his word.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Old Favorites
  • Political Boxing (untitled)
  • Did Bush Take His Ball and Go Home
  • Teratogens and Plan B
  • Foghorn Leghorn Republicans
  • BayouBias.com
  • Quote of the Day
  • October's News(Dec.1)
  • untitled, Nov.19 (offshore revenue)
  • Remember Upton Sinclair
  • Oct. Liar of thr month
  • Jindal's True Colors
  • No bid contracts